In 2021 Melbourne Royal® announced plans to establish an Emerging Leader Group to support and nurture the next generation of Victorian agricultural leaders and had a great result.
The Emerging Leaders Group was established as a platform for young agri-professionals in Victoria to become involved with the Melbourne Royal®
and make a valuable contribution to promoting agriculture, cultivating events and strengthening communities.
There will be a particular focus on creating opportunities to promote and celebrate youth in agriculture, with a broad focus that includes Victorian agricultural shows, farming, agribusiness and agri-tech.
The objectives of the Advisory Group are:
- Identify and celebrate the next generation of leaders in agriculture
- To facilitate social interactions and networking through the establishment of agricultural events and activities
- Advise and represent the Melbourne Royal® across the diverse range of agricultural industry sectors
- To encourage innovative ideas
- To collaborate with and maintain close working relationships with other agricultural youth groups/individuals both in Victoria and interstate
- Engage and promote youth through our competitions
- To facilitate and support youth initiatives and activities at the Melbourne Royal® Show
- To represent the Melbourne Royal® to the highest standard at events including the Melbourne Royal® Show and rural and regional shows as required
- Promote and support the youth pathway to the Royal Melbourne Show
Aims and Expectations of the Youth Advisory Group
- Strengthen the focus on youth in agriculture at the Melbourne Royal®
- Promote the Melbourne Royal® to the next generation of agricultural leaders
- Support and advise the Melbourne Royal® on youth initiatives, and activities including the Royal Melbourne Show, and other related events
- Promote young primary producers and their achievements
- Promote the Melbourne Royal® Emerging Leaders Advisory Group to other relevant youth groups nationally
Composition and Responsibility
- The Emerging Leaders Advisory Group will consist of up to 10 voting members, with the option to review this number in the future if deemed necessary by the Melbourne Royal®. There is a potential for inviting additional young people (under 18), to attend the meetings when relevant.
- The Emerging Leaders Advisory Group members will be guided by the structure and governance of the Melbourne Royal® Code of Conduct, Conflict of Interest and Committee and Advisory Group Charter.
- The Advisory Group members shall be elected for a period of up to three (3) years.
- The Advisory Group will undertake an annual review after the Melbourne Royal® each year
- The Advisory Group shall nominate their Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson for approval by Melbourne Royal® on an annual basis.
Meetings & Communication
- Meeting days and times will be selected by the Melbourne Royal® Emerging Leaders Advisory Group members.
- The Group members will meet up to six (6) times per year, conducted virtually or face-to-face. At least one meeting per year must be conducted face-to-face.
- The agenda and all relevant information will be circulated by the Melbourne Royal® representative prior to each meeting.
- All meeting proceedings will be officially recorded in minutes by the Melbourne Royal® representative or a selected member of the Group and forwarded to all Advisory Group members, as well as to the Melbourne Royal® for further distribution and archiving.
Archiving of documentation
- All official documentation, minutes and reports are to be kept by the Melbourne Royal® for archiving
- The Youth Advisory Group members were approved by the Melbourne Royal® Board. The Board may appoint, remove, or replace any member/s of the Advisory Group.