Mr Henry Schwieger was the first Secretary-Manager to occupy the manager’s residence at Melbourne Showgrounds. That was in 1913 and in his twenty-one years there he accomplished a great many improvements to the site.
Mr Schwieger was first appointed to the honorary position of Secretary-Manager after the retirement of Thomas Patterson in 1910. The early 1900s were a period defined by the vast expansion of buildings on the showground, and it was during his term that a government loan of £50,000 was awarded to construct many welcome additions, all but one of which are still in use and in serviceable condition.
Mr Schwieger was involved in encouraging stand-holders to erect their own stands on sites within the Showgrounds allocated by the Society, and enabling the Society to enclose Nyora Street and the Grand National Avenue within the Showgrounds. He was also responsible for the initiative of opening a Women’s Industries section (Arts, Craft & Cookery) and developing a herd book for Shorthorn cattle on the lines of the long established English Coates' Herd Book.
Mr Schwieger held the reputation of being a good communicator, and advanced many initiatives during his time as Secretary-Manager. Unfortunately, on 16 September at the Show of 1931, he collapsed suddenly and passed away soon after on the 9 October 1931.