High Court judge by day, full-time agricultural advocate, Judge Norman Mitchell was The Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria's (RASV) second-longest serving president.
Judge Mitchell hailed from a family of Airedale dog lovers and was the driving force behind the Kennel Control Council, becoming its first chairman. He donated the perpetual trophy, the F.M. Mitchell Cup to the Airedale Terrier Club of Victoria for the successful exhibitor of Airedale Terriers in puppy classes. Judge Mitchell later went on to become one of the first people to import German Shepherds.
In 1946 the Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria had 23 organisations under its administrative control, and in 1947 appointed Judge Mitchell as one of three prominent people to represent its interests on the newly formed Trotting Control Board.
He proved to be a pioneer in the establishment of night trotting at the Showgrounds – overseeing the track widened to 45 feet, lighting repairs, and two new steel grandstands installed – and was chairman of the Trotting Control Board from 1953, until he was elected president of the RASV in 1957.
Having joined the Council in 1940, Judge Mitchell handed over the presidential reins to G.P.H Wilson in 1964 but remained a trustee from 1949 until his death in March 1973.