In 2021, Melbourne Royal® announced plans to establish an Emerging Leaders Group to support and nurture the next generation of Victorian agricultural leaders and had a great result.
The Emerging Leaders Group was established as a platform for young agri-professionals in Victoria to become involved with the Melbourne Royal
and make a valuable contribution to promoting agriculture, cultivating events and strengthening communities.
There will be a particular focus on creating opportunities to promote and celebrate youth in agriculture, with a broad focus that includes Victorian agricultural shows, farming, agribusiness and agri-tech.
The objectives of the Emerging Leaders Group are:
- Identify and celebrate the next generation of leaders in agriculture
- To facilitate social interactions and networking through the establishment of agricultural events and activities
- Advise and represent the Melbourne Royal® across the diverse range of agricultural industry sectors
- To encourage innovative ideas
- To collaborate with and maintain close working relationships with other agricultural youth groups/individuals both in Victoria and interstate
- Engage and promote youth through our competitions
- To facilitate and support youth initiatives and activities at the Melbourne Royal Show
- To represent the Melbourne Royal to the highest standard at events including the Melbourne Royal Show and rural and regional shows as required
- Promote and support the youth pathway to the Royal Melbourne Show
Aims and Expectations of the Youth Advisory Group
- Strengthen the focus on youth in agriculture at the Melbourne Royal
- Promote the Melbourne Royal to the next generation of agricultural leaders
- Support and advise the Melbourne Royal on youth initiatives, and activities including the Royal Melbourne Show, and other related events
- Promote young primary producers and their achievements
- Promote the Melbourne Royal® Emerging Leaders Advisory Group to other relevant youth groups nationally
Composition and Responsibility
- The Emerging Leaders Advisory Group will consist of up to 10 voting members, with the option to review this number in the future if deemed necessary by the Melbourne Royal. There is a potential for inviting additional young people (under 18), to attend the meetings when relevant.
- The Emerging Leaders Advisory Group members will be guided by the structure and governance of the Melbourne Royal® Code of Conduct, Conflict of Interest and Committee and Advisory Group Charter.
- The Advisory Group members shall be elected for a period of up to three (3) years.
- The Advisory Group will undertake an annual review after the Melbourne Royal each year
- The Advisory Group shall nominate their Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson for approval by Melbourne Royal on an annual basis.
Meetings & Communication
- Meeting days and times will be selected by the Melbourne Royal Emerging Leaders Group members.
- The Group members will meet up to six (6) times per year, conducted virtually or face-to-face. At least one meeting per year must be conducted face-to-face.
- The agenda and all relevant information will be circulated by the Melbourne Royal representative prior to each meeting.
- All meeting proceedings will be officially recorded in minutes by the Melbourne Royal representative or a selected member of the Group and forwarded to all Advisory Group members, as well as to Melbourne Royal for further distribution and archiving.
Archiving of documentation
- All official documentation, minutes and reports are to be kept by the Melbourne Royal for archiving
- The Emerging Leaders Group members were approved by the Melbourne Royal Board. The Board may appoint, remove, or replace any member/s of the Advisory Group.